Artificial intelligence (AI) is evolving every day, and businesses across different sectors are leveraging AI tools to enhance productivity & work efficiency.
Its impact on the software development field, for instance, is undeniable, as it helps automate complex tasks and optimize code generation.
A 2023 survey conducted by Alteryx reveals that 31% of companies use AI-powered tools for code generation.
So, if you’re a developer looking to enjoy the vast benefits that AI has to offer, stick around!
In this blog, you’ll discover 10 top AI development tools that you should consider integrating into your workflows.
Let’s get started!
One of the best AI tools for developers, Mintlify is designed to help you create and maintain documentation effortlessly.
This tool provides documentation that’s developer-forward, customizable, easy to maintain and optimized for user engagement.
- Offers a GPT-4 powered AI chat box to answer your questions
- Installable on VS Code and IntelliJ
- Offers an API playground for interactive experiences built around your APIs
- Provides documentation analytics for insights into user behaviour
- Allows you to identify sales prospects viewing your documentation
- Lets you preview deployments so you can review changes before they go live
- Startup: $150/month/project ($120/month/project billed annually)
- Growth: $450/month/project ($400/month/project billed annually)
- Enterprise: Custom
2. GitHub Copilot
Source: GitHub Copilot
This AI-powered coding assistant offers personalized support throughout the entire software development process to enhance your productivity & minimize time spent on repetitive tasks.
GitHub aims to increase confidence in code quality and security by providing a built-in vulnerability prevention system that blocks insecure coding patterns in real-time.
- Suggest code completions as you type
- Has a built-in vulnerability prevention system that blocks insecure coding patterns in real time
- Provides quick answers to all your general and specific programming questions
- Integrates with leading editors, including Visual Studio Code, Visual Studio, JetBrains IDEs, and Neovim
- Offers chat assistance in the IDE
- Natively built-into GitHub
- Copilot Individual: $10/month ($100 per year)
- Copilot Business: $19/user/month
- Copilot Enterprise: $39/user/month
A 30-day free trial is available for the Individual plan.
3. Sourcegraph Cody
Source: Sourcegraph Cody
Cody, a product of Sourcegraph, is an AI coding assistant that helps developers like you write, fix, and maintain code.
It uses the code graph to understand your entire codebase and can answer questions based on code structure, file functionality, and more.
- Autocompletes single lines or whole functions, in any programming language, configuration file, or documentation
- Available on VS Code, JetBrains IDEs, and Neovim
- Provides AI-powered chat for your code
- Lets you define custom commands
- Pro: $9/month (at the moment, it’s completely free till February 2024!)
- Enterprise: Custom
4. Amazon CodeWhisperer
Source: Amazon CodeWhisperer
This next AI development tool is available for both the integrated development environment (IDE) and the command line.
Amazon CodeWhisperer can generate multiple code suggestions in real-time based on your comments and existing code.
- Provides an interactive and generative AI assistant that gives you expert guidance through a simple conversational interface
- Supports popular programming languages (like Python & Java) and IDEs (JetBrains, VS Code & AWS Cloud9)
- Provides built-in security scans to detect vulnerabilities, as well as AI-powered code suggestions to correct the identified issues
- Has a built-in reference tracker that detects whether a code suggestion might resemble publicly available code
- Offers command line integration
- Individual: Free
- Professional: $19/user/month
5. Replit Ghostwriter
Source: Replit AI
Replit AI allows you to debug, autocomplete, and turn natural language into code with one click.
With this Replit AI, you can work confidently in unfamiliar codebases and access easy-to-understand summaries of your code.
It also offers a chat-based AI assistant that allows you to quickly get answers to all your coding-related questions.
- Lets you customize your coding workspace
- Auto completes code suggestions in real time
- Takes the context of your project’s code to help you write the most relevant next line
- Detects issues in your code & suggests solutions
- Allows you to code with your team using easy-to-use collaborative tools, including a multiplayer
- Replit Core: $20/month
- Teams: Custom
With this AI development tool, you can turn your codebase into a Wikipedia-style article with citations.
It also helps you identify high-severity bugs and ensures you never lose track of your team’s work through automated standups.
- Allows you to chat with your entire codebase
- Available on VS Code & JetBrains
- Lets you view high-quality, automatically generated documentation for any public GitHub repository
- Offers AI-powered integration testing
- Allows multi-file editing
- Codebase Pro: $25/month or $250/year
- Codebase Elite: $50/month or $500/year
- Enterprise: Custom
AskCodi provides various applications for code generation, unit test creation, documentation, and code conversions.
This tool stands out for its Workbook Style coding — a step-by-step progress approach that will help you learn how to code quickly and efficiently.
- Provides a chat assistant that answers your coding questions
- Allows you to effortlessly translate between programming languages
- Offers Jupyter Style Notebooks
- Supports all major programming languages
- Provides quick code suggestions
- Integrates seamlessly with popular IDEs like Visual Studio Code, JetBrains IDEs, and Sublime Text
- Basic: Free
- Premium: $9.99/user/month ($99.99/user/year)
- Ultimate: $29.99/user/month ($299.99/user/year)
Tailored specifically for WordPress creators, CodeWP offers several features that will enhance your workflow, coding, and troubleshooting processes.
You can connect your website to give CodeWP an instant understanding of your server environment, active plugins, and more. This allows the tool to provide more specific and accurate code.
- Allows you to conversationally code complex snippets & complete WordPress plugins from a single prompt
- Supports 4 programming languages: PHP, JS, CSS and SQL
- Lets you chat with an Expert WordPress AI
- Provides custom AI Modes trained for popular plugins
- Offers a massive library of AI-generated code snippets
- Pro: $28/month ($18/month billed annually)
- Agency: $68/month ($48/month billed annually)
One of the best AI development tools, aiXcoder serves as a virtual programming expert trained with professional code from various fields.
It offers both local and cloud modes, allowing you to choose between fast local model execution or using cloud-based deep learning models for intelligent programming functions.
- Offers smart full-line and multi-line code completion
- Provides method-level code generation
- Supports GitHub open source code search
- Compatible with IDEs like IntelliJ IDEA, CLion, GoLand, Visual Studio Code, and more
- Supports Java, Python, C#, TypeScript, and other programming languages
Tabnine is an advanced AI assistant that will accelerate your software development processes while ensuring the security and privacy of your code.
This AI development tool adapts to your specific codebase, providing personalized suggestions based on your coding styles and best practices.
- Offers basic, whole-line, and full-function code completions
- Provides advanced AI models that produce longer and more accurate code completions
- Supports 25 programming languages including C++, C#, and Java
- Integrates with 15 IDEs including VSCode, IntelliJ, WebStorm, and Pycharm
- Allows you to create custom AI code completion models
- Starter: Free
- Pro: $12/user/month
- Enterprise: Custom
A 14-day free trial is available for the Pro plan.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter to Stay Ahead in the AI Development Field
Embracing these tools will not only streamline your development processes but also help you capitalize on the endless possibilities that AI has to offer.
If you found this blog post insightful and are eager to see more content like this, we recommend you subscribe to the Building Startups newsletter!
Started by Ajay Yadav, a seasoned entrepreneur who founded Roomi & co-founded Simplified, this newsletter will keep you in the loop with the latest startup updates & insights.
What’s more, you can also access tips, strategies, and tools that you can leverage to navigate the AI development landscape.
Thanks to his success in founding, co-founding, and investing in ventures like Coffee Meets Bagel, Ajay is well-positioned to offer you actionable advice & recommendations that will help you elevate your business!